Staff Accountant - Construction & Development
Job Type: Non Exempt
State::VA City:Virginia Beach
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
Come be part of an award-winning company! AvalonBay, an S&P 500 company, is in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring, and managing luxury apartments in the multi-family housing industry. We are looking for enthusiastic, customer-service focused individuals to be a part of our award-winning team. So if you're looking for a rewarding career opportunity with the top property management organization in the country, we'd like to hear from you! We are looking for the right candidate to join our Accounting Team in Virginia Beach, VA as a Construction & Development Staff Accountant.
The Construction & Development Staff Accountant will be responsible for completing on a timely basis, the community financial statements for an assigned number of construction and reconstruction communities. Tasks will include, but are not limited to:
- Perform month-end accounting close for each community.
- Verify that all property job cost and general ledger accounts reconcile to supporting schedules.
- Generate monthly property financial statements for assigned communities, including preparation of journal entries, operating statement, balance sheet, and supporting schedules.
- Prepare monthly variance analysis and job cost reports.
- Investigate and resolve outstanding financial items for assigned communities.
- Review Development commitments and insurance certificates for compliance with policy.
- Review and code Development and Overhead invoices accurately and timely.
- Prepare monthly wire transfer and ACH payments.
- Participate in special projects to improve efficiencies.
- Additional duties and projects as assigned by management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Additionally, the requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skills and or ability required.
- Undergraduate Degree in Accounting from an accredited business school.
- 0-1 years of related work experience.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Strong ability to work under pressure and independently.
- Demonstrates the ability to develop strong analytical skills.
- Real Estate background desired but not required.
- Possess a strong customer service focus.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Experience with Timberline and PeopleSoft a plus.
- Willing to work on a flexible schedule (some overtime required).
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
- Staff Accountant I - Residential Services Virginia Beach, Virginia