Senior Staff Accountant $1,500 Sign-On Bonus
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Virginia Beach
Zip Code: 23452
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
We are looking for a Senior Staff Accountant to join team in our Virginia Beach, VA office.
Position may become fully remote if it qualifies for the Customer Care Center’s business continuity policy.
The Senior Staff Accountant is responsible for preparing, analyzing and reporting results to AvalonBay management. The Senior Accounting Staff also works with the RS Accounting Manager to ensure that departmental deadlines are met timely and accurately.
- Train and coach new or seasoned associates
- Review staff accountants' work and variance explanations to ensure monthly reporting and operational deadlines are met by assisting RS Accounting Manager in coordinating departmental activities.
- Performs operational activities to support AvalonBay business functions, such as operation revenue and expense variance analysis, process journal entires, report to lending institutions and/or joint venture partners, internal and external audits, utility analytics, asses capitalization and depreciation analytics, asset acquisition and disposition support and assess financial risk for prospective retail tenants.
- Review agreements and contracts to ensure compliance in reporting and payment obligations.
- Effectively create and utilize system reports from GL, AR, and vendor websites.
- Respond to financial inquiries and requests from AvalonBay business units.
- All other tasks as assigned by the manager.
The Senior Staff Accountant will be required to have an Bachelor's degree in Accounting from an accredited business school.
- Demonstrated ability to train, coach, and mentor staff.
- Prior experience in reviewing and critiquing other assocaites' assignments.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Strong knowlege of Microsoft Office products
- Advanced Excel skills required with VB Macro experience a plus.
- Superior time management and organizational skills as well as demonstrated ability to develop strong analytical skills.
- Good time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work under strict deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong analytical skills
- Possesses a strong sense of teamwork and work ethic.
- Willing to work on a flexible schedule (some overtime may be required).
- Strong customer focus.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
A culture built on purpose and our core values -a Commitment to Integrity, a Spirit of Caring, and a Focus on Continuous Improvement.
$1,500 Sign-On Bonus
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay makes employment decisions without regard to a person’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics or testing), citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by the law.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
AvalonBay requires all associates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless a request for exemption as a reasonable accommodation has been approved.
Job ID 28466
- You have 0 recently viewed jobs
"I'm constantly challenged, pushed to think creatively, and I love that I am empowered to act like a business owner."Darius, Maintenance Manager
"Everything is on the table. You determine your skills, opportunities and career development… but it helps to have a supervisor, mentor and company to support you."Karen, SVP Corporate Initiatives
"Be curious and ask to be considered to work on projects outside of your comfort zone."Jackie, SCP of Redev and Asset Management
"Given where technology is today and where AvalonBay wants to be, it makes me really excited about what we can create together, how we can affect change in the industry and the value we can unlock for both our customer and our business."Rukus, Sr. Vice President and Chief Digital Officer