Construction and Development Staff Accountant
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Virginia Beach
Zip Code: 23452
AvalonBay Communities, Inc., an equity REIT, has a long-term track record of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing distinctive apartment homes in some of the best U.S. markets, and delivering outsized, risk-adjusted returns to shareholders. With equal parts experience and vision, we’ve established a leadership position rooted in our purpose of creating a better way to live and that is always focused on building value for the long term.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
We are looking for a Staff Accountant II C & D to sit in our Virginia Beach, VA office.
Position may become fully remote if it qualifies for the Customer Care Center’s business continuity policy.
The Staff Accountant’s overall responsibility is to complete the analytics for specific categories within the financial statements in a timely manner.
- Perform month-end accounting close for each community.
- Verify that all property job cost and general ledger accounts reconcile to supporting schedules.
- Generate monthly property financial statements for assigned communities, including preparation of journal entries, operating statement, balance sheet, and supporting schedules.
- Prepare monthly variance analysis and job cost reports.
- Investigate and resolve outstanding financial items for assigned communities.
- Review Development commitments and insurance certificates for compliance with policy.
- Review and code Development and Overhead invoices accurately and timely.
- Prepare monthly wire transfer and ACH payments.
- Participate in special projects to improve efficiencies.
- Additional duties and projects as assigned by management.
The Staff Accountant will be required to have an undergraduate degree in Accounting from an accredited business school.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from an accredited business school required.
- 0-1 years of related work experience.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Ability to work independently and under strict deadlines.
- Ability to develop strong analytical skills.
- Strong customer focus.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Real estate background desired but not required.
- Experience with Unifier and PeopleSoft desired but required.
- Willingness to work flexible hours (overtime may be required).
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits — health, dental and vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay makes employment decisions without regard to a person’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics or testing), citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by the law.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
For California residents, if you elect to apply to AvalonBay you accept the AvalonBay California Personnel Privacy NoticeJob ID 28467
- You have 0 recently viewed jobs
"I'm constantly challenged, pushed to think creatively, and I love that I am empowered to act like a business owner."Darius, Maintenance Manager
"Everything is on the table. You determine your skills, opportunities and career development… but it helps to have a supervisor, mentor and company to support you."Karen, SVP Corporate Initiatives
"Be curious and ask to be considered to work on projects outside of your comfort zone."Jackie, SCP of Redev and Asset Management
"Given where technology is today and where AvalonBay wants to be, it makes me really excited about what we can create together, how we can affect change in the industry and the value we can unlock for both our customer and our business."Rukus, Sr. Vice President and Chief Digital Officer