Project Controls Engineer
San Jose, California
Position Type: Full Time
State: California City: San Jose
Zip Code: 95128
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
The Project Controls Engineer advises and assists project teams with developing and maintaining cost and schedule controls to ensure favorable project outcomes. The Project Controls Engineer ideally has some experience with multifamily construction cost management and reporting and preparing and updating construction schedules. This individual will also be able to understand and champion the relevant company policies and procedures and complete complicated tasks independently. The Project Controls Engineer will report and receive training and ongoing guidance and direction from the Director of Project Controls.
Responsibilities will cover varies stages of the construction process including, but not limited to, the following:
Risk Identification & Mitigation:
- Assists capital project team(s) in identifying and recording cost and schedule risks using standardized template(s);
- Supports project management in the implementation of Vendor Prequalification and Lien Waiver policies and procedures;
- In collaboration with Preconstruction and the project team, prepares and publishes budget and schedule variance analyses, through which lessons learned and risk mitigation recommendations for future projects are communicated.
Project Schedule Controls:
- Collects and analyzes information used to plan and schedule construction projects (e.g. project documents, specifications, etc.);
- Provides training and support in the application of scheduling best practices within a CPM scheduling tool (e.g. Asta Powerproject);
- Help ensure a common minimum standard of schedule management knowledge and performance across all AVB capital projects. Look for best practices from project teams and share them with other project teams.
- Collaborates with field supervision and project management to develop and maintain a Critical Path Method (CPM) schedule;
- Performs analysis to determine the schedule’s technical validity in accurately modeling the project’s means and methods;
- Identifies opportunities to improve the schedule’s technical accuracy and assists the project team in addressing them;
- Conducts site visits to field verify progress and enters progress information into schedule monthly, at a minimum;
- Monitors schedule deviations and analyze impacts to project milestones and provides recommendations for corrective action;
- Prepares schedule recovery plans, as required
- Implements agreed upon schedule network modifications with field supervision and project management;
- Generates short-term look ahead schedules for use by field supervision;
Project Cost Controls:
- Analyze on a monthly basis the accuracy of cost forecasts relative to the initial project cost estimate, expenditures to date, potential exposures, and remaining contingency, and, if necessary, provides project management with recommendations for corrective action.
- Prepares quarterly budget and schedule variance analyses, comparing the current budget and schedule status against the initial project cost estimate and baseline schedule, respectively, for review by the appropriate regional leader(s) and inclusion in DCR’s and Project Reviews.
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in construction management, engineering, architecture or related field. Plus, 2 - 3 years of practical experience in engineering and/or construction management within the multifamily industry required. Demonstrates technical knowledge of engineering and/or construction activities and practical software application of document control procedures, cost estimating methods, and CPM scheduling practices.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.Job ID 25658
- You have 0 recently viewed jobs
"I'm constantly challenged, pushed to think creatively, and I love that I am empowered to act like a business owner."Darius, Maintenance Manager
"Everything is on the table. You determine your skills, opportunities and career development… but it helps to have a supervisor, mentor and company to support you."Karen, SVP Corporate Initiatives
"Be curious and ask to be considered to work on projects outside of your comfort zone."Jackie, SCP of Redev and Asset Management
"Given where technology is today and where AvalonBay wants to be, it makes me really excited about what we can create together, how we can affect change in the industry and the value we can unlock for both our customer and our business."Rukus, Sr. Vice President and Chief Digital Officer