Capital Projects Manager
San Jose, California
Position Type: Full Time
State: California City: San Jose
Zip Code: 95128
Compensation: $90K - $130K base salary plus annual bonus
Additional Compensation: Base salary plus annual performance-based bonus.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc., an equity REIT, has a long-term track record of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing distinctive apartment homes in some of the best U.S. markets, and delivering outsized, risk-adjusted returns to shareholders. With equal parts experience and vision, we’ve established a leadership position rooted in our purpose of creating a better way to live and that is always focused on building value for the long term.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
The Capital Projects Manager oversees capital projects across AvalonBay’s existing portfolio. This role will partner with Design, Construction, Operations, Retail, Investments, and Asset Management to develop programming, scopes of work, underwriting, and budgets that align with our business objectives, asset preservation goals and operational and customer needs. They will be responsible for third-party consultant management including Interior Designers, Architects, and Engineers and lead cross-functional Asset Teams and provide reporting on progress for all assigned projects in the region.
- Partners with Asset Management, Investments, Design, Residential Services, Construction, Engineering, and third-party consultants to develop scopes of work, conceptual plans, budgets, execution schedules, and logistical plans for projects within the region; pursue entitlements and permits; and create and submit investment packages for executive approval.
- In partnership with Construction, oversees the implementation of capital plans identified by Asset Management, Investments, Residential Services, and Retail and is responsible for ensuring capital projects are planned, approved, and executed within the designated timeline and budget, and that quality and company goals are achieved.
- Provides recurring reporting and updates for partners and executives on progress, status, and results of all capital projects within regions.
- Manages capital budgets, spending, and planning schedule, identifying spending trends, adherence to company guidance, and opportunities to reduce costs and improve efficiencies.
- Assists with Due Diligence on acquisitions to advise on post-acquisition capital plans. Oversees implementation of the post-acquisition capital plan.
- Maintains knowledge of Company Construction & Design standards, documentation requirements, contract requirements, and reporting standards and ensures projects confine to these standards.
- MBA preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 4-5 years in a lead project management role
- Multi-family or attached residential experience required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills including the ability to lead Asset Teams of cross-functional teams for assigned projects.
- Motivates members of internal and external teams through influence and demonstrated leadership and teamwork skills.
- Demonstrated ability to shepherd multiple capital projects through the entire process, from concept to turnover to Residential Services (Property Management), while communicating with and managing a diverse group of team members to reach the desired goals/timelines, including both third party consultants (i.e., designers, architects, and engineers) and internal AVB associates.
- Works independently on assets with varying degrees of complexity.
- Makes decisions and evaluates situations with imperfect information.
- Hires, manages, and develops high-quality associates.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits — health, dental and vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more. Click on Benefits for information.
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay makes employment decisions without regard to a person’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics or testing), citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by the law.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
For California residents, if you elect to apply to AvalonBay you accept the AvalonBay California Personnel Privacy NoticeJob ID 29551
- You have 0 recently viewed jobs
"I'm constantly challenged, pushed to think creatively, and I love that I am empowered to act like a business owner."Darius, Maintenance Manager
"Everything is on the table. You determine your skills, opportunities and career development… but it helps to have a supervisor, mentor and company to support you."Karen, SVP Corporate Initiatives
"Be curious and ask to be considered to work on projects outside of your comfort zone."Jackie, SCP of Redev and Asset Management
"Given where technology is today and where AvalonBay wants to be, it makes me really excited about what we can create together, how we can affect change in the industry and the value we can unlock for both our customer and our business."Rukus, Sr. Vice President and Chief Digital Officer