Raleigh, North Carolina
Position Type: Full Time
State: North Carolina City: Raleigh
Zip Code: 27603
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
The Investments Director is primarily responsible for participating in the acquisition and disposition of existing multi-family communities located in high barrier-to-entry markets. This role will also be responsible for the sourcing and execution of joint venture investments in ground-up developments built by third-party developers.
- Prepares financial analysis of properties being considered for acquisition and/or joint venture investments, which includes advanced pro forma modeling, preparation and review of market surveys, and other financial analysis required to evaluate investment candidates.
- Makes recommendations on the appropriate renovation and deferred maintenance scope of work to be adopted for newly acquired communities.
- Leads on-site due diligence teams during the due diligence process, including obtaining proposals from consultants, managing, scheduling, and coordination of physical due diligence, and summarizes results for senior management.
- Participates in the preparation of investment summaries for qualified investment candidates to be distributed to the Management Investment Committee.
- Manages the closing process for assets approved for acquisition or joint venture investments.
- Leads the transition process post-closing on newly acquired assets to be transitioned to the Operations and Redevelopment functions within the company.
- Prepares potential assets for sale by reviewing existing title reports, assessing capital needs, and preparing on-site staff for the sale and transition process.
- Coordinates with the brokerage community about the production of offering memorandums for properties to be disposed.
- Participates in the review and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements, LLC agreements and various other partnership documents.
- Performs special projects and assignments as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- MBA and/or CPA/CFA preferred
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in the real estate industry, preferably in a similar role
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Possesses outstanding leadership skills and the ability to motivate others and work successfully in a team environment surrounded by strong personalities.
- Exhibits strong motivation, takes initiative, learns quickly, and is a resourceful team player who can work autonomously when required but also has the maturity to ask for support or guidance when needed.
- Demonstrates solid analytical and problem solving skills, including a strong foundation in Microsoft Excel.
- Possesses exceptional communication and organizational skills.
- Exhibits a passion for the real estate industry in general and for a transactional role in particular.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
AvalonBay requires all associates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless a request for exemption as a reasonable accommodation has been approved.
#LI-HyrbidJob ID 28179
- You have 0 recently viewed jobs
"I'm constantly challenged, pushed to think creatively, and I love that I am empowered to act like a business owner."Darius, Maintenance Manager
"Everything is on the table. You determine your skills, opportunities and career development… but it helps to have a supervisor, mentor and company to support you."Karen, SVP Corporate Initiatives
"Be curious and ask to be considered to work on projects outside of your comfort zone."Jackie, SCP of Redev and Asset Management
"Given where technology is today and where AvalonBay wants to be, it makes me really excited about what we can create together, how we can affect change in the industry and the value we can unlock for both our customer and our business."Rukus, Sr. Vice President and Chief Digital Officer