Asset Management Summer Intern
Position Type: Intern (Full Time)
State: California City: Irvine
Zip Code: 92614
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
Asset Management’s mission is to maximize long term asset-level and portfolio value and to work cross-functionality with other departments in the organization to identify, implement, and manage strategies to achieve that mission. Our Summer Internship Program focuses on employing high-achieving undergraduate talent with interest in gaining broad real estate experience at a best-in-class company. The 10-week paid program involves working with Asset Management on key initiatives in the various regions as well as assisting on portfolio-wide efforts. As a part of the Asset Management team, the summer intern will also gain exposure to other functional departments such as property management, construction, acquisitions, etc. The role also provides opportunities to develop strong business acumen, quantitative, and presentation skills. You will collaborate with and learn directly from the department’s senior leadership.
We don’t have a typical day, but you can expect to conduct financial analysis including ten-year discounted cashflow analysis, perform market research and leverage our in-house research & data analytics departments, conduct outreach, and collaborate with internal stakeholders across departments as well as with third-party service providers, and assist in preparation of investment committee recommendations and presentation materials.
- Progress towards a bachelor’s degree (preferably in Finance, Economics, Real Estate, or in another quantitative or business-related field but not required)
- Strong problems solving skills and a desire to put them to use in a meaningful way
- The intellectual curiosity to truly learn about all aspects of our business and new tools/skills
- Excellent time management and organizational ability
- A diligent work ethic and desire to work in a fast-paced environment that supports a balance of independent work and team collaboration
- Strong analytical, financial modeling, and presentation skills using MS Excel and PowerPoint.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
AvalonBay requires all associates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless a request for exemption as a reasonable accommodation has been approved.Job ID 27313
- You have 0 recently viewed jobs
"I'm constantly challenged, pushed to think creatively, and I love that I am empowered to act like a business owner."Darius, Maintenance Manager
"Everything is on the table. You determine your skills, opportunities and career development… but it helps to have a supervisor, mentor and company to support you."Karen, SVP Corporate Initiatives
"Be curious and ask to be considered to work on projects outside of your comfort zone."Jackie, SCP of Redev and Asset Management
"Given where technology is today and where AvalonBay wants to be, it makes me really excited about what we can create together, how we can affect change in the industry and the value we can unlock for both our customer and our business."Rukus, Sr. Vice President and Chief Digital Officer