Position Type: Full Time
State: Texas City: Dallas
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
Based in Dallas or Austin, the Development Leader for Texas oversees and is responsible for all development activity in the region. AvalonBay will be focusing on Dallas and Austin as their core markets in Texas. As this represents a new market for the company, it is critical that the candidate have an ability to generate new business and strategically assess a wide range of opportunities in an effort to establish a pipeline. This opportunity also requires an ability to work independently in a start-up role and collaborate collectively within the AvalonBay organization, with the primary goal of establishing an organization over time.
- Leverage existing professional relationships and develop new strategic contacts to generate development opportunities with potential real estate partners, private sellers, brokers, investment bankers, owners, consultants, and high net-worth individuals.
- Develop the AvalonBay brand in the Texas market; be the “face” for the region.
- Driving strategy in the region to determine which sub-markets or additional broader markets to invest in.
- Identify and present new investment opportunities to the Management Investment Committee and ensure successful delivery of development projects.
- Anticipate, communicate, and capitalize on market trends in the region.
- Leverage the reach of the broader AvalonBay platform; develop comprehensive knowledge of the company’s assets, strategy, process, and systems.
- Act as the “quarterback” of the development asset team (development, residential services, and construction).
- Develop, attract and retain a team in the region to support the growing pipeline and continued deal flow.
- A minimum 10+ year track record of acquiring and development commercial real estate with a focus on multifamily properties.
- Broad industry experience in acquisitions, design, entitlements and rezoning process, project management, leasing and development; ideally with deep experience in either Dallas or Austin markets.
- Proven track record of sourcing multifamily development sites and taking them through the full investment life cycle with a solid performance of history and value creation.
- In depth understanding of financial acquisition and development pro forma modeling, general construction process and pricing, multifamily development and entitlement processing.
- Exceptional written and oral skills; strong presentation and communication skills.
- The inclination to seek and analyze data from a variety of sources to support decisions and to align others with the organization’s overall strategy.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty; the ability to adapt nimbly and lead others through complex situations.
- The ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for the organization.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
AvalonBay requires all associates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless a request for exemption as a reasonable accommodation has been approved.Job ID 26560
- You have 0 recently viewed jobs
"I'm constantly challenged, pushed to think creatively, and I love that I am empowered to act like a business owner."Darius, Maintenance Manager
"Everything is on the table. You determine your skills, opportunities and career development… but it helps to have a supervisor, mentor and company to support you."Karen, SVP Corporate Initiatives
"Be curious and ask to be considered to work on projects outside of your comfort zone."Jackie, SCP of Redev and Asset Management
"Given where technology is today and where AvalonBay wants to be, it makes me really excited about what we can create together, how we can affect change in the industry and the value we can unlock for both our customer and our business."Rukus, Sr. Vice President and Chief Digital Officer