Sr Building Systems Engineer
Position Type: Full Time
State: Massachusetts City: Boston
Zip Code: 02210
At AvalonBay, every day you can make a difference in someone's life. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. From helping someone choose one of our communities as their home to providing great service throughout a resident's stay to supporting your fellow associates, your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work. Our purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and a Focus on Continuous Improvement - set us apart.
This associate is responsible for providing technical support for all building systems, identifying equipment reliability opportunities and improving quality. The associate will also assist portfolio directors and on-site maintenance staff with trouble shooting, managing capital projects and completing community evaluations.
- Engineering support for onsite team with systems and equipment. Assist with preventative maintenance requirements, process improvements, equipment selection and service vendors.
- Assist with trouble shooting when there is significant resident impact or is a reoccurring building system issue.
- Provide technical support and recommendations for building system improvements or replacements
- Perform or assist with community evaluations. Determining the condition of assets as well as making recommendations for improvements processes or equipment.
- Identify potential building improvement or repair projects.
- Evaluate & make recommendations for building systems efficiency improvements.
CapEx (Plan, Execute, Closeout):
- Project management of capital expenditure (CapEx) projects.
- Projects focused on: major design changes, performance improvements, significant process changes, reliability improvements.
Redevelopment, Investments & CapEx Technical Support:
- Review and provide comments on redevelopment mechanical systems changes or upgrades.
- Develop specifications, equipment selection or guidance for building system capital expenditure projects.
- Provide investment support for acquisition or disposition of assets.
New Construction Support:
- Review and provide comment for new development including: standards, building systems, existing conditions, equipment, and maintenance feasibility & logistics.
- Provide project support for: equipment selection, apartment acceptance, standards review and trouble shooting.
- Participate throughout the building commissioning, startup, training and acceptance processes.
Retail/Other Services Support:
- Support retail and other Services on technical items, including design reviews, base building systems coordination and acceptance.
- This includes retail fit out design reviews, solar installations, EV Charging and FIOS installations.
- Provide assistance with commissioning throughout the development process.
- Provide technical assistance on accepting building systems, apartment homes, and major equipment.
- Provide technical assistance on turn over, startup and training in coordination with the maintenance team.
Quality Improvements (Product/Process):
- Identify product durability and areas of weakness.
- Work to ensure equipment and components meet quality standards and requirements.
- Ensuring that equipment and processes follow intended use and meet durability standards.
- Analyze issues reported via customer or team, maintaining records and implementing changes to equipment standards or construction process when necessary.
- Perform analysis on equipment and process to improve uptime and drive down total cost of ownership.
- Facilitate root cause analysis on systemic failures.
- Collect and analyze data on critical assets to identify quality and operational improvement opportunities.
- Use reliability center maintenance by analyzing equipment breakdowns and identify which maintenance methods will work best to improve reliability for each piece of equipment.
- 8+ years’ experience providing engineering support for systems in the real estate industry preferred
- Experience with high rise, midrise and garden style buildings and systems preferred
- 5+ years of experience with development, budgeting, and execution of capital expenditure projects
- Experience in the apartment industry preferred
- Strong working knowledge of all building systems including but not limited to: MEP, commissioning, life safety, HVAC, and other centralized systems is desired
- Working knowledge of envelope systems including facades, windows and roofing
- Experience with the following:
- HVAC, Chillers, boilers, cooling towers, condensers, split systems, heat pumps, and Aqua-therm, pumps, generators, water treatment.
- Standard and enhanced fire alarm systems.
- Proficient with energy management systems.
- Experience mitigating indoor air quality and other environmental issues.
- Familiarization with Sub-metering for utilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Distinguishes between color-coded wires for troubleshooting and repairs to central systems.
- Promotes consistent standards in building operation, shop organization, life safety issues, Haz-Mat issues, emergency procedures, confined spaces. and asbestos.
- Demonstrates commitment to deliver outstanding customer service.
- Possesses advanced situational judgment, or an ability to know what is needed to satisfy the customer.
- Takes ownership to personally resolve customer problems (or find someone who can).
- Listens well, asks clarifying questions, and checks for agreement with customers.
- Commits to following-up with customers in all instances in a timely manner.
- Possesses a strong sense of accountability
- Creates a personal connection with customers – smiles, warm greetings, acts friendly and respectful, and listens.
- Coaches and mentors team to work together deliver outstanding customer service.
- Works with team to analyze common issues, finds the root causes, and adjusts services or processes to prevent issues from occurring in the future.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay makes employment decisions without regard to a person’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics or testing), citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by the law.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
For California residents, if you elect to apply to AvalonBay you accept the AvalonBay California Personnel Privacy NoticeJob ID 31273
- You have 0 recently viewed jobs
"I'm constantly challenged, pushed to think creatively, and I love that I am empowered to act like a business owner."Darius, Maintenance Manager
"Everything is on the table. You determine your skills, opportunities and career development… but it helps to have a supervisor, mentor and company to support you."Karen, SVP Corporate Initiatives
"Be curious and ask to be considered to work on projects outside of your comfort zone."Jackie, SCP of Redev and Asset Management
"Given where technology is today and where AvalonBay wants to be, it makes me really excited about what we can create together, how we can affect change in the industry and the value we can unlock for both our customer and our business."Rukus, Sr. Vice President and Chief Digital Officer