Safety Manager – Residential Services
Position Type: Full Time
State: Massachusetts City: Boston
Zip Code: 02210
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
The Safety Manager – Residential Services (“RS”) is a member of the Safety and Health team that works to support operations on Safety matters related to residential services.
The Safety Manager – RS supports the Vice President of Engineering and the Sr. Director of Safety and Health for overall operations safety program implementation and execution. The Safety Manager completes duties as assigned by the VP of Engineering and the Sr. Director of Safety and Health.
The Safety Manager will also coordinate and work closely with local partners which may include Portfolio Maintenance Directors, Portfolio Operations Directors, Community and Maintenance Management, and the Risk Management Department in support of AvalonBay Corporate Safety and Health program requirements as well as compliance with local, State and Federal Safety and Health regulations.
This position can be based in any AvalonBay market across the country.
The Safety Manager will be responsible for management of national policies, procedures and requirements that support safe operation at each of . This includes overseeing safety training requirements, policies, procedures, compliance obligations, permit management and other safety related obligations from a national perspective.
- Foster a positive safety culture and perform functions with a focus on A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and a Focus on Continuous Improvement.
- Assist in the development, implementation, and maintenance of the organization’s safety programs, policies, and initiatives that promote a safe culture, best practices, and minimize risk.
- Coordinate workplace assessment standards, so that there is consistent execution and understanding of specific requirements, timely reporting, and following up on items until completion or removal of hazards.
- Act as a national point of contact for communities regarding the Safety and Health programs and policies.
- Assists supervisors and associates to remove hazards and recommend corrective actions for hazardous conditions, and/or at-risk behaviors based on applicable policies and applicable Safety and Health Regulations.
- Support communities with policies, procedures, and training to eliminate hazards from the workplace. Support associates with training to help remove or mitigate conditions at communities that create hazardous conditions or at-risk behaviors.
- Interface with Risk Management to assist with incident investigations related to injuries, exposure, and/or property damage as requested.
- Provide of work through prompt written reports and information to the organization’s VP of Engineering, Risk Management Department, and Director of Safety.
- Coordinate, maintain, and update Safety training program as needed and interface with Learning and development to improve the organization’s online learning platform. Such as Incident and Injury Free Workplace Monthly Newsletter, Technical Training, Training oversight and review.
- Creates training on safety topics to ensure project staff can recognize hazards, and that are relevant to our communities and injury history.
- Collaborate with the organization to understand safety and health performance, data, and trends to suggest recommendations for improvement.
- Support associates with vendors to ensure their practices and work are protecting our residents, associates, and communities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Health and Safety or related scientific or engineering field preferred equivalent education and/or related experience.
- 7 years of experience in Safety and Health, Property Maintenance, Risk Management, Maintenance, Industrial Hygiene, other related fields, and/or a combination is preferred.
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience as a Safety Manager is required.
- Or 5+ years of experience in Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) Management, program development, and implementation
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Safety and Health principles including the ability to identify known potential exposures and recommended corrective actions as demonstrated by prior work experience.
- Possesses management, leadership, and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Train non-technical staff on Safety and Health topics.
- Exhibits a working knowledge of OSHA General Industry regulations, NFPA, national consensus standards, as well principles of related fields such as Industrial Hygiene.
- Performs arithmetic skills such as measurement, addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to complete basic calculations and analysis such as determining averages and percentages, and totals.
- Ability to develop, implement and evaluate written safety and training programs;
- Displays knowledge of Microsoft Office applications such as word processing, presentations, and spreadsheets, conduct internet searches and utilize email system as demonstrated by prior work experience.
- Bilingual (Spanish is helpful)
- Organized and proactive with a positive attitude.
Preferred relevant professional certification(s), such as a certification from the Board of Certified Safety Professionals; Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Associate Safety Professional (ASP), Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM), Safety Management Specialist (SMS), Certified Safety and Health Manager (CSHM), or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
AvalonBay requires all associates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless a request for exemption as a reasonable accommodation has been approved.
#LI-HyrbidJob ID 28174
- You have 0 recently viewed jobs
"I'm constantly challenged, pushed to think creatively, and I love that I am empowered to act like a business owner."Darius, Maintenance Manager
"Everything is on the table. You determine your skills, opportunities and career development… but it helps to have a supervisor, mentor and company to support you."Karen, SVP Corporate Initiatives
"Be curious and ask to be considered to work on projects outside of your comfort zone."Jackie, SCP of Redev and Asset Management
"Given where technology is today and where AvalonBay wants to be, it makes me really excited about what we can create together, how we can affect change in the industry and the value we can unlock for both our customer and our business."Rukus, Sr. Vice President and Chief Digital Officer