Director, Health & Safety
Position Type: Full Time
State: Massachusetts City: Boston
Zip Code: 02210
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
The Director, Safety and Health works with the Sr. Director of Safety and Health, Regional Safety Managers, Project Safety Managers, Safety Engineers, Regional Construction Director, Project Managers and Project Superintendents in support of the AvalonBay Corporate Safety and Health program requirements; as well as compliance with municipal, state, and federal safety and health regulations.
This role serves as the East or West Regional-level contact for all safety and health related matters. The Director will manage Regional Safety Managers, and Safety personnel within their assigned region(s).
The Director, Safety and Health is required to provide support to multiple construction projects in various stages of completion as well as completed communities. The Director, Safety and Health provides support to construction project teams AND residential services teams to identify, manage and control hazardous conditions that may lead to injury and/or property damage.
This role supports AvalonBay Construction and AvalonBay Communities within a defined geographic region.
- Analyze and collaborate to understand safety and health performance, data, and trends to suggest recommendations for improvement.
- Investigates safety and health issues, including incidents involving injury or property damage on behalf of AvalonBay.
- Communicates with AvalonBay staff and subcontractors in connection with resolving project safety and health issues based on AvalonBay policies and applicable safety and health regulations.
- Provides safety and health leadership to projects and communities within assigned region. Builds working relationships with AvalonBay Associates and trade partners.
- Performs work at a professional level and assists in the development, implementation, and maintenance of safety programs, policies, and initiatives that promote a safe culture, best practices, and minimize risk.
- Ensures compliance with AvalonBay safety and health program requirements and project specific Safety and Health Plan. Stays up to date on recent safety & health trends and regulations.
- Educates AvalonBay Associates on AvalonBay Safety policies and procedures. Conducts training on AvalonBay safety and health programs as well as general construction safety topics as necessary to ensure project staff can recognize existing hazards.
- Analyzes regional observation and injury data for trends. Makes recommendations for improvement(s).
- Four-year degree in Safety and Health or equivalent experience is required.
- Relevant professional certification(s), such as a certification from the Board of Certified Safety Professionals; Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Associate Safety Professional (ASP), Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM), Safety Management Specialist (SMS), Certified Safety and Health Manager (CSHM), or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH); are desired.
- 10 years of experience in Safety and Health, Risk Management, Industrial Hygiene, other related fields, and/or a combination is preferred.
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience as a Safety Manager is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Safety and Health principles including the ability to identify known potential exposures and recommended corrective actions as demonstrated by prior work experience.
- Demonstrates management, leadership, and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Exhibits an in-depth knowledge of OSHA General Industry regulations, NFPA, national consensus standards, as well principles of related fields such as Industrial Hygiene.
- Ability to develop, implement and evaluate written safety and training programs; including an ability to train non-technical staff on safety and health topics.
- Bilingual, Spanish-speaking is preferred.
- Organized and proactive with a positive attitude.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
AvalonBay requires all associates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless a request for exemption as a reasonable accommodation has been approved.
#LI-HyrbidJob ID 28249
- You have 0 recently viewed jobs
"I'm constantly challenged, pushed to think creatively, and I love that I am empowered to act like a business owner."Darius, Maintenance Manager
"Everything is on the table. You determine your skills, opportunities and career development… but it helps to have a supervisor, mentor and company to support you."Karen, SVP Corporate Initiatives
"Be curious and ask to be considered to work on projects outside of your comfort zone."Jackie, SCP of Redev and Asset Management
"Given where technology is today and where AvalonBay wants to be, it makes me really excited about what we can create together, how we can affect change in the industry and the value we can unlock for both our customer and our business."Rukus, Sr. Vice President and Chief Digital Officer