Senior Technical Design Manager
Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Arlington
Zip Code: 22203
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
The Senior Technical Design Manager is responsible for the development and management of construction and design standards and quality control procedures nationally used by AvalonBay’s Design, Construction, and Development departments. This position leads quality and technical innovation through products and systems research, specifications coordination, and standards documentation.
- Manages the process by which new standards and specifications are established, maintained, and updated. Identifies potential new standards and specifications to be researched or existing standards and specifications to be updated.
- Contributes to the technical resolution and innovation and furthers the development of architectural projects through all design and construction phases consistent with the scope of work of projects and goals of AvalonBay.
- Documents, communicates, and maintains standards of quality for use by internal and external teams. Leads the implementation of Quality Control for assigned projects.
- Chairs Design and Construction Standard committees and product development task forces.
- Collaborates with various internal functional groups including Development, Asset Management, Construction, Engineering and Operations.
- Develops and maintains technical knowledge of critical and complex standards and specifications. Acts as technical subject matter expert for internal stakeholders including Development, Asset Management, Construction, Engineering, and Operations
- Identifies, researches, and tests materials, products and systems. Determines test protocol and scope to be used, analyzes results, and provides recommendations. Works with multiple functional groups to coordinate testing pilots and tracking and reporting results.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, Environmental Science or Building Construction Administration.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in architectural, construction administration, or related project management in construction or design.
- Knowledge of International Building Code (IBC) standards, Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) Master Format, and FHA/ADA accessibility requirements.
- LEED accreditation preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with ability to develop excellent relationships and partnerships with internal teams and external consultants.
- Problem solving & creative solution skills
- Ability and interest to go both deep and wide in a variety of subject matters
- Reads and writes English as demonstrated by clear and concise written and verbal communications.
- Creates and delivers group presentations on function-related subject matter and writes reports in a clear, concise form.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
AvalonBay requires all associates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless a request for exemption as a reasonable accommodation has been approved.
#LI-HybridJob ID 28112
- You have 0 recently viewed jobs
"I'm constantly challenged, pushed to think creatively, and I love that I am empowered to act like a business owner."Darius, Maintenance Manager
"Everything is on the table. You determine your skills, opportunities and career development… but it helps to have a supervisor, mentor and company to support you."Karen, SVP Corporate Initiatives
"Be curious and ask to be considered to work on projects outside of your comfort zone."Jackie, SCP of Redev and Asset Management
"Given where technology is today and where AvalonBay wants to be, it makes me really excited about what we can create together, how we can affect change in the industry and the value we can unlock for both our customer and our business."Rukus, Sr. Vice President and Chief Digital Officer