Manager of Procurement Sourcing
Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Arlington
Zip Code: 22203
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
We are searching for a Procurement Manager or Senior Manager to join our team in Arlington, VA!
The Manager of Procurement Sourcing will drive competitive advantages and cost saving strategies across multiple regions and lines of business. Manages and oversees AvalonBay’s procurement for all non-construction related contracts. Responsible for leading a team and determining what products and services should be subject to a national agreement/contract, what deal structure best suits particular products/commodities, ensuring accurate requirements are gathered for goods/services when negotiating agreements, and for the rollout and implementation of agreements.
- Drive the supply chain strategy for assigned regions, categories, or targeted initiatives, to address the long and short term objectives.
- Applies best practice procurement and supply chain solutions related to all aspects of procurement work.
- Manages and tracks compliance with purchasing standards, policies, and agreements.
- Interprets contract provisions and reviews contracts for accuracy as well as responsibility for the rollout and implementation of agreements.
- Develops feedback loop to identify and correct problems and continually improve products, services, and national agreements.
- Negotiates cost effective and risk adverse agreements for the organization.
- Evaluates overall revisions, price, and past performance of each agreement and makes recommendations for improving the contract requirements, including customer service.
- Researches and evaluates commodity areas and makes recommendations for sourcing strategies and standardization across the organization.
- Manages all employee/personnel duties including, but not limited to, work assignments, training, development and performance appraisals to ensure that the trained staff is prepared to address customer demands.
- Develops policies and action plans related to the procurement of goods and services. Implements or directs the implementation of all applicable AVB policies and procedures.
Bachelor’s degree in a Supply Chain Management or Business Management field OR equivalent 4 years progressive responsibility in management of a procurement.
- Three or more years of experience in people management/supervision, including directing teams in utilizing industry supply chain techniques and processes.
- Equivalent 4 years progressive responsibility in management of a procurement function and experience in the multi-family, hospitality or property management industry.
- Demonstrated Project Management skills.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Negotiates contracts and agreements with vendors as demonstrated by a work history of leading negotiations with national/regional vendors.
- Creates and delivers group presentations on job related subject matter by writing reports in a clear, concise form.
- Strong analytical skills to include, estimating, cost and price modeling, value analysis and ROI. Includes, but not limited to ability to perform calculations and analyses such as estimating, determining averages and percentages, and calculating totals.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, such as but not limited to, Outlook, SharePoint, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to deal effectively with suppliers and internal business stakeholders of all levels.
- Familiarity with on-line bidding and reverse line-bidding processes as demonstrated by work history
- Self-starter, driven individual with the ability to manage work deliverables and oversee and lead a small team
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
AvalonBay requires all associates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless a request for exemption as a reasonable accommodation has been approved.Job ID 26675
- You have 0 recently viewed jobs
"I'm constantly challenged, pushed to think creatively, and I love that I am empowered to act like a business owner."Darius, Maintenance Manager
"Everything is on the table. You determine your skills, opportunities and career development… but it helps to have a supervisor, mentor and company to support you."Karen, SVP Corporate Initiatives
"Be curious and ask to be considered to work on projects outside of your comfort zone."Jackie, SCP of Redev and Asset Management
"Given where technology is today and where AvalonBay wants to be, it makes me really excited about what we can create together, how we can affect change in the industry and the value we can unlock for both our customer and our business."Rukus, Sr. Vice President and Chief Digital Officer