Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Arlington
Zip Code: 22203
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
The Preconstruction Manager is responsible for the creation of construction cost estimates and/or value engineering/cost studies and associated deliverables for new development pursuits from conceptual design phase through the construction documents phase as well as evaluating final construction costs for lessons learned. The Preconstruction Manager’s other responsibilities includes implementing preconstruction best practices and policies, collaborating with construction teams by evaluating contractor bids to ensure they meet project specifications and budget requirements. The Preconstruction Manager demonstrates strong communication and collaboration skills with AvalonBay Development and Construction stakeholders and external vendors. The Preconstruction Managers possesses comprehensive knowledge of building construction and site development, construction systems and product alternatives with regards to cost, quality of finished product, life cycle maintenance costs, speed of construction, and trade involvement with respect to labor supply, union involvement, and material availability.
- Independently prepares construction cost estimates, cost studies, value engineering, and associated deliverables at each phase of a New Development project from conceptual design phase through construction documents phase (i.e. Pursuit estimates, Class 1, 2, and 3 estimates).
- Prepares Class 4 estimates based on final construction cost and including assessment of lessons learned during the construction phase that are relevant for future cost estimates.
- Value Engineering/Cost Studies: Critically analyzes bid documents and understands risk and opportunities and articulates those to management & project team. Monitor costs and savings associated with ongoing design.
- Assists development, architects, engineers, construction project managers, and design/build subcontractors to ensure consistent accuracy and completeness of plans and specifications.
- Manages a regional portfolio of projects with oversight from the Sr. Preconstruction Manager. Provides technical and process support to construction project managers during trade contractor bidding and buyout negotiations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering or related field OR equivalent experience.
- At least 5 years of construction cost estimating OR related experience
- Multifamily construction experience is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Exemplifies AvalonBay’s Core Values and Cultural Norms.
- Reads and writes English as demonstrated by clear and concise written and verbal communications.
- Manages multiple tasks, projects, and demands when working in both a team-based, collaborative environment and independently.
- Creates and delivers group presentations on function-related subject matter and writes reports in a clear, concise form.
- Performs basic Microsoft Office applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations.
- Performs intermediate mathematic skills, both arithmetic and geometric, in order to convert measurements when reviewing blueprints and floor plans.
- Utilizes computerized estimating systems, such as On-Screen Takeoff and Timberline, as demonstrated by prior experience with such a system.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
AvalonBay requires all associates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless a request for exemption as a reasonable accommodation has been approved.
#LI-HyrbidJob ID 28248
- You have 0 recently viewed jobs
"I'm constantly challenged, pushed to think creatively, and I love that I am empowered to act like a business owner."Darius, Maintenance Manager
"Everything is on the table. You determine your skills, opportunities and career development… but it helps to have a supervisor, mentor and company to support you."Karen, SVP Corporate Initiatives
"Be curious and ask to be considered to work on projects outside of your comfort zone."Jackie, SCP of Redev and Asset Management
"Given where technology is today and where AvalonBay wants to be, it makes me really excited about what we can create together, how we can affect change in the industry and the value we can unlock for both our customer and our business."Rukus, Sr. Vice President and Chief Digital Officer