Manager, Asset Management
Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Arlington
Zip Code: 22203
AvalonBay Communities, Inc., an equity REIT, has a long-term track record of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing distinctive apartment homes in some of the best U.S. markets, and delivering outsized, risk-adjusted returns to shareholders. With equal parts experience and vision, we’ve established a leadership position rooted in our purpose of creating a better way to live and that is always focused on building value for the long term.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
Based in Arlington, VA, the Manager of Asset Management is responsible for providing analytical, research, and managerial support to the Asset Management team, which supports the entire enterprise’s portfolio of ~89,000 apartment homes. This position provides a knowledge and experience base in Real Estate that is both deep and wide. The successful Associate will actively interact and partner with multiple functional groups at AvalonBay including Asset Managers with specific regional responsibilities, Investments, Development, Construction, Operations, Risk Management, Legal, Design, Data Analytics, Finance, Procurement, Corporate Responsibility and Affordable Housing. The successful Associate will be well prepared to potentially expand their role in corporate Asset Management, Regional Portfolio Asset Management or to pursue a career path in another functional group.
- Collaborate to identify key performance indicators (KPI) for portfolio performance and Asset Management group performance, providing reporting on performance against key business goals and objectives.
- Model scenarios to understand portfolio and asset performance using KPIs and/or other metrics. Use statistical tools to interpret data sets, giving particular attention to trends and patterns that would be valuable for diagnostic and predictive analytics efforts within the multifamily portfolio.
- Develop, improve and maintain 10-year cash flows for asset level business planning with a focus on all capital expenditures for all assets in which AvalonBay has or may have an ownership interest.
- Lead the process for the annual capital budget, coordinating immediate and long-term CapEx planning with Operations, Engineering, Construction and AM for asset level business planning. This will include analysis for setting budget guidance in accordance with corporate objectives, providing reporting to the organization on progress made during the budgeting process, performing analysis of the project budget, presenting and leading discussion regarding the budget plan and writing budget request memoranda and reports.
- Maintain cash flow models, perform analysis suitable for quarterly forecasting and perform/update analyses as required.
- Responsible for “ownership” of internal asset value estimates, annual capital plans and forecasts, and capital investment return performance.
- Lead the process for transitioning new assets from development and investments to asset management, including leading calls to confirm critical documentation and information is obtained and properly recorded in our asset management system. Make improvements to the process to meet the needs of the business. Provide reports on progress to the organization.
- Prepare, coordinate, and ensure timely completion of any portfolio-level analytics for periodic portfolio reviews and assessments and other enterprise-level analysis/initiatives.
- BA/BS degree required
- MBA preferred
- 2-3 years of experience in asset management, investments, or property management within real estate, preferably with multifamily real estate
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Leadership skills, particularly in the areas of leading teams and problem solving
- Data gathering, organization and analysis skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential
- Self-starter, takes initiative, and resourceful
- Fundamental understanding of value and creating value
- Knowledge of real estate property management operations and financial reporting
- Knowledge of entitlement and forward planning to assess value creation opportunities
- Communication skills—verbal and written—and Presentation skills
- Prioritization and organization skills with a strong ability to multi-task
- Ability to develop financial analysis and possess strong analytical and financial acumen.
- Computer literacy, including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to demonstrate good business judgment and decision-making
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits — health, dental and vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more. Click on Benefits for information.
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay makes employment decisions without regard to a person’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics or testing), citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by the law.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
For California residents, if you elect to apply to AvalonBay you accept the AvalonBay California Personnel Privacy NoticeJob ID 31277
- You have 0 recently viewed jobs
"I'm constantly challenged, pushed to think creatively, and I love that I am empowered to act like a business owner."Darius, Maintenance Manager
"Everything is on the table. You determine your skills, opportunities and career development… but it helps to have a supervisor, mentor and company to support you."Karen, SVP Corporate Initiatives
"Be curious and ask to be considered to work on projects outside of your comfort zone."Jackie, SCP of Redev and Asset Management
"Given where technology is today and where AvalonBay wants to be, it makes me really excited about what we can create together, how we can affect change in the industry and the value we can unlock for both our customer and our business."Rukus, Sr. Vice President and Chief Digital Officer