IT Governance Specialist
Position Type: Full Time
Job Type: Exempt
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
Our IT Governance Specialist will be responsible for helping design, implement, and maintain the organization’s IT governance strategy aimed at improving (1) data quality, (2) business outcomes, and (3) compliance with policies/regulations. The role requires a technical understanding of IT systems and an analytical curiosity regarding the interaction of systems used in business processes.
Responsibilities include implementing components of IT governance frameworks, optimizing company resources, and leading compliance with data privacy and governance policies.
- Document (1) standards for interface control documents, (2) data flows between systems, and (3) data governance considerations for new system implementations.
- Design and implement model for assessing strategic alignment of IT with business objectives. Recommend action to achieve and maintain strategic alignment.
- Lead effort to identify and automate unnecessary manual processes to increase efficiency, reduce manual errors, and improve data reliability.
- Assess efficiency of software spend, make recommendations to reduce unnecessary redundancies.
- Assist in developing an IT Scorecard process and implement it using data visualization tools.
- Use data and statistical analysis software to quantify business impact of IT spend and other key metrics.
- Lead the technical side of data privacy compliance activities for CCPA and other regulations.
- Assist in addressing NIST requirements related to data classification and retention.
- Bachelors Degree plus minimum 3 years’ experience with data analytics, databases, data warehouses, SQL, programming, and/or project management required.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with IT infrastructure, IT processes, and/or business processes.
- Strong analytical mind with sharp attention to detail and an ability to simplify complex processes.
- Ability to communicate clearly and succinctly both verbally and in writing as well as interact and work with others collaboratively.
- Ability to interpret laws and regulations related to cybersecurity, privacy, and data governance.
- Prefer experience working with IT governance frameworks.
- Prefer experience working in the area of privacy regulations and requirements (GDPR a plus).
- Prefer experience with Python, VBA, R, SAS, Powershell, ServiceNow, data visualization tools, etc.
- ITILv3/v4, COBIT, or TOGAF Certified
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values -A Commitment to Integrity,A Spirit of Caring, andA Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
- You have 0 recently viewed jobs
"I'm constantly challenged, pushed to think creatively, and I love that I am empowered to act like a business owner."Darius, Maintenance Manager
"Everything is on the table. You determine your skills, opportunities and career development… but it helps to have a supervisor, mentor and company to support you."Karen, SVP Corporate Initiatives
"Be curious and ask to be considered to work on projects outside of your comfort zone."Jackie, SCP of Redev and Asset Management
"Given where technology is today and where AvalonBay wants to be, it makes me really excited about what we can create together, how we can affect change in the industry and the value we can unlock for both our customer and our business."Rukus, Sr. Vice President and Chief Digital Officer