Fund AccountantApply Now
Job Type: Exempt
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2018.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 80,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates. We are currently searching for a Fund Accountant to be based at our Corporate Headquarters in Arlington, VA.
Essential Job Functions:
Perform monthly analysis and close activities, including but not limited to:
- Prepare and post journal entries for Fund corporate business units monthly and quarterly close processes
- Perform a detailed review and analysis of Fund general ledgers and associated subledger schedules
- Prepare Fund monthly and quarterly partner distribution calculations
- Reconcile Fund general ledger accounts including related party activity
Support the external reporting processes, including but not limited to:
- Prepare Quarterly Investor Reporting Packages, including financial statements, community level performance and operating metric reports, and other associated schedules
- Assist with preparation of year-end financial statements
- Support annual audit process for fund and corporate audits
- Prepare and maintain process documentation
- Assist with the annual appraisal process
- Support other ad hoc requests and projects from investors and management
- BS in Accounting from an accredited university;
- 2 years practical experience preferred;
- Public accounting experience preferred;
- CPA preferred
- Solid accounting background with an understanding of the monthly close and reporting process.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including the ability to effectively communicate details of financial information prepared to investors.
- Excellent computer skills with the ability to prepare ad-hoc financial reports. Experience with pivot tables and Excel functions/formulas a plus.
- The ability to build relationships and work collaboratively at all levels of the organization.
- Detail oriented self-starter willing to take ownership of assignments and develop and implement process enhancements & business solutions.
- Ability to research and analyze transactions, ensure appropriate accounting treatment, and propose solutions for any adjustments necessary.
- Strong initiative and ability to work independently and able to proactively reach out for guidance as needed
- Organizational, prioritization and time management skills are essential.
- Excellent customer service and leadership skills.
AvalonBay conducts drug and background screening for all hires. Qualified applicants will be considered for employment consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance and other applicable state and federal laws.
AvalonBay is an Equal Opportunity Employer.