Financial Analyst Summer Intern
Position Type: Intern (Full Time)
Job Type: Non Exempt
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates. We are currently searching for a Summer Financial Analyst Intern to join our Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) team at our Corporate Headquarters in Arlington, VA.
Creating a better way to liveis the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates.We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistentpersonal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
Our Summer Internship Program focuses on employing high-achieving undergraduate talent with interest in gaining broad real estate experience at a best in class Company. The 10 week paid program is centered within Financial Planning & Analysis and involves working with all of AvalonBay’s major business groups including development, investments, finance, and asset management, to name a few. The role also provides opportunities to develop strong business acumen, quantitative, and presentation skills. You will collaborate with and learn directly from the company’s senior and executive leadership team, providing them with recommendations for strategic decision making through the collection, organization, analysis, and interpretation of financial data.
We don’t have a typical day, but you can expect to conduct detailed analyses of historical financial data, provide underwriting support on potential investments, build models to project future performance, and provide critical support to our development/redevelopment teams, budgeting and capital planning team, and property management team.
- Progress towards a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Finance, Economics, or in another quantitative or business-related field.
- Strong problems solving skills and a desire to put them to use in a meaningful way.
- The intellectual curiosity to truly learn about all aspects of our business and new tools/skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational ability. You have a diligent work ethic, desiring to work in a fast-paced environment that supports a balance of independent work and team collaboration.
- Strong analytical, financial modeling, and presentation skills using MS Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience working with SQL, R, Power BI/Tableau, and VBA is a plus.
How AvalonBay Supports You
- An engaging team that values the unique contributions of each team member.
- Exposure to all aspects of real estate, including development, investments, finance, and asset management.
- Visibility with senior and executive leadership.
- Opportunity to learn how a best-in-class company operates.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
- You have 0 recently viewed jobs
"I'm constantly challenged, pushed to think creatively, and I love that I am empowered to act like a business owner."Darius, Maintenance Manager
"Everything is on the table. You determine your skills, opportunities and career development… but it helps to have a supervisor, mentor and company to support you."Karen, SVP Corporate Initiatives
"Be curious and ask to be considered to work on projects outside of your comfort zone."Jackie, SCP of Redev and Asset Management
"Given where technology is today and where AvalonBay wants to be, it makes me really excited about what we can create together, how we can affect change in the industry and the value we can unlock for both our customer and our business."Rukus, Sr. Vice President and Chief Digital Officer