Director, Insurance Risk Management
Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Arlington
Zip Code: 22203
At AvalonBay, every day you can make a difference in someone's life. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. From helping someone choose one of our communities as their home to providing great service throughout a resident's stay to supporting your fellow associates, your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work. Our purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and a Focus on Continuous Improvement - set us apart.
The Director of Insurance Risk Management is responsible for assessing risk throughout the company’s operations and implementing programs to mitigate those risks, either through insurance or other methods. Toward that end, the Director is required to work directly with key personnel in the Construction, Development, and Residential Services divisions of the company on a regular basis.
- Assesses the company’s insurable risks, develop and execute insurance program structures and renewals
- Partners with internal real estate development and construction teams and attorneys to develop and structure insurance terms, programs, and cost estimates.
- Negotiates and procures insurance policies for all coverages needed, including but not limited to Commercial Property, General Liability, Excess Liability, Workers Compensation, Pollution, Legal Liability, Directors and Officers, and others
- Manages review and selection process for broker relationships and insurance carriers and conducts competitive bidding process as needed
- Conducts cost/benefit analyses of programs and alternatives, including coverages, premiums, and deductibles including annual TCOR analysis
- Partners with and manages insurance brokerage team and other vendors through insurance policy renewals and new program placements
- Places and administers Owner Controlled Insurance Program for Construction Division
- Supports Residential Services, Development, and Construction departments with review of various contracts, leases, and other agreements to ensure compliance with AvalonBay’s insurance and risk management policies
- Remains current and well-versed in the latest trends in risk management, safety, loss control, and claim management through involvement in industry groups, panels, and other means as appropriate
- Develops and maintains a system for analysis and reporting of historical loss data for use in reporting to senior management, insurance underwriters, and other internal audiences as appropriate
- Oversees the day to day operation of the Renter’s Insurance program in partnership with Residential Services. Develops future risk financing growth plans for Renter’s Insurance captive in partnership with internal stakeholders.
- Report to management periodically and as needed on state of corporate risk management programs, significant insurance policy placements and renewals, and other critical aspects of the risk management program
- Drafts and proposes revision of company policy and procedure as appropriate, based on lessons learned from company or industry loss experience or relevant risk management trends
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 7 years Risk Management experience, particularly in construction risk management and insurance structuring for real estate development.
- Experience in both a corporate risk management position and the insurance industry preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Possesses a deep understanding of insurance policies and the insurance marketplace, as well as an ability to maintain strong relationships with personnel from underwriting and brokerage firms
- Maintains knowledge of risk management and demonstrates how to apply them to AvalonBay’s operations and objectives
- Demonstrates sound leaderships and business judgement, as well as strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Communicates professionally with all levels of management and vendors
- Manages personnel as well as vendors
- Displays excellent follow-up and organizational skills
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits — health, dental and vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more. Click on Benefits for information.
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay makes employment decisions without regard to a person’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics or testing), citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by the law.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
For California residents, if you elect to apply to AvalonBay you accept the AvalonBay California Personnel Privacy NoticeJob ID 31275
- You have 0 recently viewed jobs
"I'm constantly challenged, pushed to think creatively, and I love that I am empowered to act like a business owner."Darius, Maintenance Manager
"Everything is on the table. You determine your skills, opportunities and career development… but it helps to have a supervisor, mentor and company to support you."Karen, SVP Corporate Initiatives
"Be curious and ask to be considered to work on projects outside of your comfort zone."Jackie, SCP of Redev and Asset Management
"Given where technology is today and where AvalonBay wants to be, it makes me really excited about what we can create together, how we can affect change in the industry and the value we can unlock for both our customer and our business."Rukus, Sr. Vice President and Chief Digital Officer