Director, Information SecurityApply Now
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is a real estate investment trust (REIT) focused on developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing high-quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Pacific Northwest, Northern California and Southern California regions of the country. The Company owns or holds a direct or indirect ownership interest in 285 apartment communities containing over 83,000 apartment homes in twelve states and the District of Columbia, and has market capitalization in excess of $20 Billion.
We are currently searching for a Director of Information Security to lead all elements of AvalonBay's enterprise-wide information security program. This position will be based out of our corporate headquarters in Arlington, VA.
As Director of Information Security, you will be accountable for the security and protection of all information shared and accessed by the company's 3,000 employees, customers, communities and business ecosystem. You will have the flexibility, creativity and intellectual aptitude to design an information security program and implement a strategic plan addressing the specific business challenges facing AvalonBay as an industry-leading REIT. You will be expected to interact and communicate at the executive level and be able to inspire confidence and trust among business executives and technology leaders. You will ultimately be responsible for creating an organizational culture where information security is ingrained into the fabric of the company's standard business operations.
Qualified candidates will be able to demonstrate how they have accomplished the following over the course of their career:
• Demonstrated success and effectiveness as either an Information Security leader of an enterprise organization, as a direct report to an Information Security leader of an enterprise organization or has worked as an Enterprise Information Security Consultant at a respected consultancy.
• Demonstrated experience in either leading or supporting the successful development, evolution, and/or transformation of an information security program. This will include building consensus with functional leaders by demonstrating value and measurable results and creating a culture of information security awareness amongst the company’s core ecosystem – employees, customers, and partners – while enabling efficiency.
• Experience in designing, developing, and implementing a successful security strategy and architecture that aligns with relevant industry standards, frameworks, and applicable regulations to the organizations that they are securing.
• Experience in the evaluation and implementation of industry standard enterprise wide information security technologies and concepts. These can include but are not limited to: Data Loss Prevention, Security Event Management, GRC Tools, Threat and Vulnerability Management, End-Point Security and Incident Response
• Firsthand experience or a proven understanding of what is necessary to lead an organization through an information security incident or data breach.
• Either led or played an active role in the attraction, recruitment, retention, and professional development of information security professionals.
• Illustrate a consistent and logical pattern of strategic career investments and professional development that have helped develop the skills and experience required to be an effective Information Security leader. This can include advanced education, industry certifications, professional development, industry thought leadership and other external interests and pursuits (i.e. community involvement, philanthropy, etc.)
• Can speak to information security concerns that are looming on the horizon and demonstrate logical thought patterns that are applicable to the organizations that they are attempting to secure.
• Unimpeachable integrity and moral character.
• A foundational alignment with the culture of AvalonBay Communities and its core values of integrity, caring, and commitment to continuous improvement.
• Demonstrated ability and the necessary professional passion to serve as a hands-on leader and take a "lead by example” approach toward the creation and development of an enterprise information security program.
• Understanding the business concerns and the applicable security threats that face a publicly traded REIT, with geographically-dispersed customer communities and business operations.
• Well-rounded technical foundation and a natural intellectual curiosity as it relates to new technologies and their business applications.
• Trusted professional network that can be called upon as needed for advice and guidance.
• Master’s or other advanced degree.
As an Information Technology associate, you will be a key member of the AvalonBay team. You will be working with the best and brightest individuals in the industry, and will enjoy a compensation and benefits package that is as competitive as any in the business. Please click on your desired job below to learn more about the exact qualifications. A rewarding job in Information Technology at AvalonBay may be waiting for you!