Design Manager - Architecture
Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Arlington
Zip Code: 22203
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
The role of the Design Manager - Architecture is responsible for the design management nationally for multifamily and mixed-use development projects inclusive of coordinating with internal Asset teams (Development, Construction and Property Operations) and design consultants through the design process, the site concept plan through construction. This role is a liaison between the different internal and external stakeholders during the design process and construction.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Works closely with developers on preliminary site plans, building types, and apartment unit mix.
- Attend project design meetings with Asset Teams and design consultants.
- Reviews site plan to understand constraints and opportunities.
- Ensures building design incorporates operational requirements defined by design standards and guidelines.
- Assists and provide input on building massing, elevations and selection of materials
- Coordinates with internal Interior Design and Quality Assurance teams to ensure compliance with program and quality requirements.
- Perform drawing reviews during SD and DD phases for compliance with drawing submission requirements.
- Develop and maintain prototype units for each market for use on development projects.
- Work closely with VP of Design and internal design team, including the Construction/ Design Standards team, for product innovation and as architecture subject matter expert for ad hoc issues.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Architecture, Urban Planning or related fields
- At least 8 years experience in architecture or architectural design management.
- Demonstrated ability to project manage and work effectively with different constituents
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers
- Excellent computer proficiency including Bluebeam and MS Suite. Experience with AutoCad and Revit preferred.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
AvalonBay requires all associates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless a request for exemption as a reasonable accommodation has been approved.Job ID 26669
- You have 0 recently viewed jobs
"I'm constantly challenged, pushed to think creatively, and I love that I am empowered to act like a business owner."Darius, Maintenance Manager
"Everything is on the table. You determine your skills, opportunities and career development… but it helps to have a supervisor, mentor and company to support you."Karen, SVP Corporate Initiatives
"Be curious and ask to be considered to work on projects outside of your comfort zone."Jackie, SCP of Redev and Asset Management
"Given where technology is today and where AvalonBay wants to be, it makes me really excited about what we can create together, how we can affect change in the industry and the value we can unlock for both our customer and our business."Rukus, Sr. Vice President and Chief Digital Officer